10 Signs You’re Ready for a Career Change
Reflecting on when I was first introduced to DISC over 25 years ago, I had no idea it would change my life in many ways. I became so engaged in this newfound way of looking at people I sold my company to partner with Dr. Sandy Kulkin and The Institute for Motivational Living, and now PeopleKeys. It has been an amazing journey, and through DISC I have traveled worldwide, been involved with hundreds of consulting contracts ranging from personnel issues, training, consulting, speaking engagements, and personal coaching.
Today, we are facing many things at once as a nation; as a world. It’s not easy taking care of family, home-schooling kids, and constantly changing news. Then, add your own stress of no longer being excited about what you do for work.
Here are 10 signs you are ready for a career change now:
- You are furloughed, either temporarily or permanently. It doesn’t get any more clear or real than this. You need a new way of making income.
- You have serious doubts about your current position, company, or long-term financial outlook. Start something on the side now you enjoy that you can eventually move into full time.
- You feel physically or mentally drained most of the time.
- You wake up in the night or in the morning with anxiety or worries over your job.
- You are losing self-esteem and think less of yourself. Chances are, it really isn’t you, but being in a bad place or working for someone who is not supportive leads you to feel less confident in yourself. It’s time for a change.
- You have said things to yourself, such as, “If it wasn’t for the money I would already be gone.” You are ready for a change.
- You are self-medicating or finding other ways to cover your unhappiness.
- You feel like a split personality, one at home and one at work, or while you are performing your job duties. You don’t feel the two align, ever!
- You have lost all excitement about your work or profession.
- You have read this article up to this point. Unless you are doing it for educational purposes, you probably wouldn’t be reading this unless you knew it was time.
These are just a few. How about some more: feeling unappreciated, being demeaned or ridiculed, operating in a toxic environment, or working for a company that cares more about profits than people (especially you!). How about not being able to remember the last time you really got excited about going to work?
First, it might help to know you are not alone. According to Mental Health America (MHA) cases of depression and anxiety have increased by 370% since January 2020.
Now, let me share something that may blow your mind. Do you know who makes the best life coaches, trainers, and even consultants? The ones who have walked through personal issues themselves and then learned to lead others through the same situations in life. We all experience them, but how about being one of the “strong” who helps others? 9 times out of 10 the “strength” these heroes have is not from an abundance of specialized training (although it can help), it’s because they know the road through personal experience and have compassion and empathy for those they are now called to help.
Do you know who PeopleKeys’ top distributors are worldwide? You may be shocked, and it proves anyone from anywhere or any background can do this and be successful. Here are our top five:
- A part-time school teacher, who 10 years ago was certified by us. He now operates a multi-million dollar a year coaching business doing DISC training and consulting.
- A gym owner who wanted a change. She is now the head of one of the largest coaching academies in the world. It’s all built on relationships, coaching, and DISC.
- A PR/Marketing Director who was fed up with her boss and was feeling unappreciated and burned out. She now operates a thriving consulting practice and has written two bestselling books about DISC and relationships.
- A missionary who needed some extra income to meet expenses. He now has a team of business people using his materials, and still continues his passion for ministry.
- An attendee to a training session we presented 15 years ago said, “I think I can do that. I have a passion for helping others!” Today, he and his team are our largest distributor in Asia.
There are many more stories like these ones I could share, as the majority of our successful partners started only part-time. It only takes a desire and passion for wanting something better, something meaningful, and something you can get excited about. There is more demand than ever for life coaches due to the challenges everyone is facing today.
Whether you are a teacher, speaker, homemaker, or student, you can start with less than a $1,000 investment in training. Stop thinking about change and take a step to achieve your goals in life. The first step is the hardest, but it is the most rewarding. That step is believing in yourself and being a person of positive change. I believed in all our other coaches and I believe in you. We have certified over 10,000 coaches just in the last 2 years, and we have a 95%+ retention. It works for them; it will work for you.